Melvin Adams has had the privilege of speaking to over8,000,000 youth at school assemblies, basketball clinics/camps and other youth events. He has a wide variety of speaking experiences including interviews and guest appearances from all forms of media. Melvins passion for reaching Americas youth has provided countless opportunities to speak, perform and share with groups.
Melvin was born in 1971. He grew up in the ghetto of Houston, Texas. He has overcome incredibly negative circumstances in his life to achieve the dream of playing professional basketball. At the age of 13, his father died. With the pressure of being financially strapped and surrounded by hopeless situations, he turned to sports. Hard work and endless practicing kept him out of trouble.
At Eisenhower High School, Melvin led the district in assists and steals, and averaged 16 points per game for the Eagles. Melvin graduated from San Jose Christian College where he was a two-time NCAA III All-American basketball player. He is the all-time scoring, assists and steals leader in the Warriors history. After college, Melvin continued to focus on his basketball and was given the opportunity to play basketball professionally.
Melvin later joined the Harlem Globetrotters and was named Mr. Globetrotter numerous times. This award is presented yearly to the teammate that most exemplifies the excitement and energy associated with the Harlem Globetrotters. On March 17, 2000 Melvin Adams retired from the Harlem Globetrotters due to a heavy burden to reach youth nationwide.
"Melvin is one of the MOST DYNAMIC YOUTH SPEAKERS in the country. He has a gift of relating to today's youth and he is a man of integrity!"
Coordinator, Prison Fellowship
- Played college basketball at San Jose Christian College in San Jose, California
- Two time All American
- Led the nation in scoring his Junior year with 28 points per game
- School all time leader in scoring, steals and assists
- Played professionally in:
- New Zealand
- South America
- South Africa
- Central America
- - Guest appearance on an episode of the sitcom Sister Sister
- Appeared in Reebok commercial with an NBA All-Star
- Finished filming 1st TV movie: Dreams in the Attic
- Guest on VIBE TV with Sinbad
- Feature article in Sports Spectrum Magazine November 99 issue
- Guest on the Trinity Broadcasting Network Kids Club show
- Guest on the CBN 700 Club
- Guest appearance on the HBO series Arli$$
- Guest appearance on the Fox and Friends Kids Show
- Guest speaker on In the Zone, a special on violence and gangs in America
- Countless interviews-all forms of media